CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Sophomore Camrynn Aiello and a pair of freshmen tallied goals and Paige Hinds and Julianna Smith combined for a shutout as Belmont Abbey opened the 2019 field hockey season with a 3-0 win over Mercyhurst at the Queens Sports Complex Friday afternoon. The win was the first in program history over a member of the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference, widely regarded as the top field hockey league in Division II.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Aiello and Angelina Perrone executed a perfect 2-on-1 breakaway with 1:30 left in the first quarter, putting the Crusaders up 1-0.
- In the second quarter, freshman Bizzy Baumeier knocked in a rebound of a Mia Maminski shot for her first collegiate goal, doubling the lead with 58 seconds left.
- Freshman Lauren Delisi capped the scoring with her first career tally 1:15 in the third quarter.
- Belmont Abbey outshot the Lakers 11-5 overall, including 7-0 in the opening half.
- Paige Hinds, who saved all three shots she faced, and Julianna Smith combined on the shutout.
- Belmont Abbey faces the No. 1 team in the NFHCA Division II poll on Saturday when it takes on Shippensburg. The matchup begins at 2 p.m. at the Queens Sports Complex.