BELMONT, N.C. -- Lauren Delisi opened the scoring with a first-quarter strike, but a goal early in the fourth and another in overtime lifted Roanoke to a 2-1 victory over Belmont Abbey Wednesday afternoon. Senior Paige Hinds made nine saves in goal, including a penalty stroke in the fourth quarter.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Delisi redirected a shot from Samantha Moore with 3:17 left in the first quarter to give The Abbey a 1-0 lead.
- Hinds kept the Maroons (3-1) off the scoreboard until she surrendered a penalty stroke with 12:39 remaining.
- The game stayed tied through regulation, forcing a 7-on-7 sudden-victory scenario.
- At the 6:59 mark of overtime, Emilee Wooten took a panlaty-corner pass from Alexis Lester and blasted it from the top of the circle into the cage.
- Hinds made nine saves, while Kayley Williams added three defensive saves. Hinds blocked a second penalty stroke with 6:39 to play.
- Roanoke outshot Belmont Abbey (3-2) by a 23-18 margin after facing an 11-0 deficit after the first quarter.
- The Maroons also had one more penalty corner, 12-11.
- Belmont Abbey returns to conference play on Friday when it travels to defending league champion and preseason favorite Limestone.
- The action is slated to begin at 7 p.m.