NEWBERRY, S.C. -- Maddie Mitchell scored a goal and added two assists, leading Belmont Abbey to a 4-3 field hockey victory over Newberry Saturday morning. With the win, the Crusaders improve to 6-4 overall, 5-1 in South Atlantic Conference Carolinas play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mia Maminski opened the scoring with an unassisted goal from the center of the circle with 21 seconds left in the first quarter.
- Camrynn Aiello doubled the lead after a cross from Mitchell at the 7:09 mark of the second period.
- Newberry cut the deficit to 2-1 by halftime, but Mitchell pushed the margin back to two with 2:03 remaining in the third quarter.
- The Wolves answered 29 seconds later, but Mitchell found Abbey Playle on the right side of the circle for the game-winner with just seven seconds remaining in the quarter.
- The lead stayed at 4-2 until there was just 5:52 remaining when Newberry converted off a penalty corner. But the Crusaders held off any additional attacks over the remaining time to claim the win.
- Belmont Abbey outshot Newberry 10-9 overall, although the Wolves took all seven of the fourth-quarter attempts. The Wolves held a 9-7 advantage in corners.
- Paige Hinds made one save in the contest.
- Belmont Abbey hosts defending champion Limestone on Thursday at 4 p.m. at Alumni Field.
- The Saints narrowly defeating the Crusaders 3-2 last month in Gaffney.