SPARTANBURG, S.C. -- Angelina Perrone scored her second goal of the season on a third-quarter penalty corner, but Converse broke a 1-1 tie early in the fourth to earn a 2-1 victory over Belmont Abbey in South Atlantic Conference Carolinas field hockey action Tuesday night.
The Crusaders fall to 6-10, 5-5 with the result.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Converse opened the scoring with a goal early in the second quarter.
- Perrone tied the game at 1-1 when she converted a penalty corner. Lauren Delisi started the play, with Laura Harrison also getting an assist.
- The game-winner came just 49 seconds into the fourth when the Valkyries were successful on a penalty corner of their own.
- Belmont Abbey outshot Converse 10-3 overall and 6-3 on goal. The Valkyries had seven penalty corners compared to the Crusaders' four.
- After five straight games away from home, the Crusaders close the regular season with a pair of home games.
- The Crusaders will look to lock up a postseason tournament berth tomorrow when it faces Mount Olive.
- The contest, which will now be played at 2 p.m. in Davidson, was moved up from Thursday afternoon due to impending weather.