BELMONT, N.C. -- Belmont Abbey honored six seniors in a pregame ceremony, but a pair of late goals lifted Newberry to a 2-0 South Atlantic Conference Carolinas field hockey victory Saturday afternoon at Alumni Field. The contest wrapped up the regular season for both teams, with both having previously qualified for the league tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams were scoreless for the first 42:39, when the Wolves converted a perfect cross and score for a 1-0 lead.
- A similar play 10 minutes later made the score 2-0.
- Newberry (13-4, 9-3) held a 19-8 lead in shots and a 5-2 edge in penalty corners.
- Angelina Perrone led the offensive attack for the Crusaders (7-11, 6-6). She tallied three shots (all on goal) with Bizzy Baumeier registering a pair.
- Paige Hinds made eight saves in goal for The Abbey.
- Kelsey Garrison, Kayley Williams, Sandra Gannon and Kristen Perret made their final appearance at Alumni Field. As fourth-year seniors, they set the foundation for the program, which started their freshman year.
- Hinds transferred in a sophomore, while Kaitlyn Toombs is graduating in May as a junior in terms of eligibility were also recognized.
- Belmont Abbey enters tournament play as the No. 4 seed and will play host Queens Friday at 4 p.m. The teams split the regular-season matchup with each winning at home.
- No. 2 seed Newberry meets No. 3 seed Limestone in the second semifinal.