BELMONT, N.C. -- Dequan Abrom tallied a game-high 28 points and Romeao Ferguson and Sean Halloran also topped double figures, but Wingate escaped with an 84-74 victory over Belmont Abbey Saturday night in the Hampton Inn by Hilton Tipoff Classic. The result leaves The Abbey 1-1 after the opening weekend, while the Bulldogs improve to 2-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ferguson scored 11 points and grabbed six rebounds, while Halloran registered 10 points, six assists and four rebounds.
- Charles Solomon was the leading rebounder for the second straight night with seven.
- Abrom added five rebounds.
- Belmont Abbey actually outshot Wingate 42.6 percent to 40.9 percent, but 20 turnovers were the difference. The visitors had 23 points off turnovers, while the Crusaders had just nine.
- The halftime score was 40-35, but the Bulldogs stretched that to 18, 66-48, midway through the second period.
- Belmont Abbey returns to action on Wednesday when it travels across town to Johnson C. Smith.
- The contest marks the first road game of the year.