BELMONT, N.C. -- Romeao Ferguson and Charles Solomon each tallied double-doubles, leading Belmont Abbey to an 86-76 victory over Chowan in Conference Carolinas men's basketball action Tuesday night. Ferguson tallied 16 points and 10 rebounds, while Solomon added 11 points and a career-high 12 boards.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Belmont Abbey (6-2, 2-0) shot 49.2 percent for the contest, including 55.6 percent in the opening period.
- The Crusaders also held a 44-36 rebounding advantage, but had five more turnovers (14 to 9)
- The Abbey led by as many as 19 points in the first half, 41-22 with 4:01 to play.
- The Hawks (3-4, 1-2) trimmed the margin to 13, 49-36, at the break and then to six, 81-75, with 58 seconds remaining.
- But the Crusaders hit five of six free throws in the final 37 seconds to preserve the victory.
- Belmont Abbey takes to the road for the first time in conference play on Saturday when it travels to King.
- The Tornado are ranked just two spots behind the Crusaders (third/tied for fifth) in this week's D2SIDA Southeast Region poll.