BELMONT, N.C. - Noah Haas scored five goals, helping the #8-ranked Belmont Abbey men's lacrosse team to a 13-8 victory over Mount Olive, who was ranked #12. The win puts The Abbey at 10-1 on the season, including a 3-0 Conference Carolinas record. The Trojans now stand at 8-2 overall, with a 3-1 conference mark.
How it Happened
- The Crusaders came out shooting right from the start. Liam Osborne found the back of the net a minute and a half into the contest, then scored again at the 8:37 mark
- Collin Grippo scored with two seconds remaining in the quarter, and The Abbey led 5-1 when the period ended
- Jack Pigott wasted no time increasing the Crusader margin, finding the back of the net less than a minute into the second quarter
- Haas scored twice in the quarter, and Belmont Abbey led 8-4 at halftime. BAC won 10 of 14 faceoffs in the first half
- Haas again tallied two goals in the third, one off a pass from Patrick Bagatta, and one from Pigott with 4:49 to play in the quarter
- Zach Stephenson won the ensuing faceoff, and found Osborne for a score just 13 seconds after Haas's, for a 12-5 lead. Mount Olive scored a goal in the closing minute, but Belmont Abbey held a strong 12-6 lead heading into the final quarter
- The fourth was mainly a defensive battle. The Crusader defense gave up a total of just six Trojan shots in the period, while also causing six turnovers
- Sean Hanrahan scored the lone Abbey goal in the quarter, and the Crusaders wrapped up the 13-8 victory
- On the day, Haas was the Crusaders' leader offensively, with five goals. Osborne chipped in three
- On the defensive side, Jack Diebolt caused two Mt. Olive turnovers and picked up a game-high six ground balls
- Dylan Harmon won 13 of his 22 faceoffs. Bryce Gifford earned 17 saves for the second game in a row
Belmont Abbey will welcome Chowan University to Alumni Field next Saturday, April 6 for a 12 p.m. contest. The team will celebrate its Senior Day.