Men's Soccer Battles Mount Olive To 3-3 Draw After High Scoring Second Half

Men's Soccer Battles Mount Olive To 3-3 Draw After High Scoring Second Half

Belmont Abbey and Mount Olive combined to score five goals in the final 37 minutes of regulation after the Trojans carried a 1-0 lead into the half as the two teams earned a 3-3 draw this afternoon at Alumni Field. Belmont Abbey is now 3-7-4 overall and 2-5-2 in Conference Carolinas, while the Trojans are now 4-8-3 overall and 2-4-1 in the league.

Mount Olive outshot the Abbey 24-14 and held an 8-1 edge in corner kicks as the Trojans grabbed the early lead in the 28th minute.

Cooper Gaypia's shot was saved by Alexander Trujilo, but the rebound came right to the feet of Trevor Knight, who easily tapped in the rebound for a 1-0 lead.

The Trojans held their lead for the rest of the half and the match remained 1-0 before Nick Fuller pulled the Crusaders level in the 52nd minute.

Gathering the ball on the left sideline deep into the Mount Olive zone, the Gastonia product lifted a high, arcing shot towards the far post, over the head of a leaping Jared Miller and dropping just underneath the crossbar and into the lower right corner of the net.

17 minutes later Dauda Sanoh began a wild flurry of three goals in four minutes that saw the Crusaders take their first lead.

Sanoh put the Trojans back on top in the 69th minute with a shot from the center of the box, 16 yards away for a 2-1 lead.

The lead lasted all of two minutes. Clay Dimick scored his fourth goal in the past four matches as he blasted home a shot from the left side to knot the match at two.

Two minutes later, the Abbey surged ahead for the first time as Jordan Gardner tapped home a rebound off of a saved Liam Quinn header from the face of goal to move the Crusaders ahead 3-2.

Belmont Abbey held its lead for the next 16 minutes until Mount Olive pulled level with 1:27 to play. Aaron Norris curled a shot from distance past Trujilo, finishing in the upper left corner to tie the match for the third and final time.

Neither team had a dangerous chance in either of the two ten minute extra periods as the teams settled for a 3-3 draw.

Trujilo stopped nine shots with Clark making four saves. The two teams combined for 34 fouls, with the Crusaders whistled for 20.