CENTRAL, SC – Southern Wesleyan took two out of three matches in doubles play as the Warriors defeated Belmont Abbey, 5-4 Thursday afternnon at the Rev. Leroy C. Cox Tennis Complex on the campus of Southern Wesleyan University. SWU improves to 4-9 overall, 3-1 in Conference Carolinas, while the Crusaders fall to 5-14 overall, 1-4 in league play.
Crusader sophomore James Delaney finished the day a perfect 2-0. In doubles he teamed with Juan Baez, in #1 flight to defeat Stan Grzeslo and Keegan Barkley, 8-3. In singles, Delaney defeated Grzeslo in three sets, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2.
Junior Eduardo Escobar went 1-0 on the day, winning his #5 flight singles' match, 6-1, 1-6, 7-5 over Keegan Barkley.
Belmont Abbey returns to action on Friday, March 18 against Erskine. The match will start at 2:00 PM at the Michael Reidy Tennis Center on the campus of Belmont Abbey College.
SOUTHERN WESLEYAN 5, BELMONT ABBEY 4
1. Camilo Sandoval (SWU) def. Juan Baez (BAC) 2-6, 6-1, 7-5
2. James Delaney (BAC) def. Stan Grzeslo (SWU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. Daniel Zapata (SWU) def. Grant Goldin (BAC) 6-3, 4-6, 6-0
4. Young-Jin Kang (BAC) def. Harry Reed (SWU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Eduardo Escobar (BAC) def. Keegan Barkley (SWU) 6-1, 1-6, 7-5
6. Urs Widow (SWU) def. Laine Harrett (BAC) 6-0, 6-2
1. Juan Baez/James Delaney (BAC) def. Stan Grzeslo/Keegan Barkley (SWU) 8-3
2. Camilo Sandoval/Daniel Zapata (SWU) def. Young-Jin Kang/Grant Goldin (BAC) 8-6
3. Urs Widow/Harry Reed (SWU) def. Tomas Pardo/Laine Harrett (BAC) 8-2