MURFREESBORO, N.C. - Peyton Wilson went 3-for-7 with a home run and four RBIs and the Belmont Abbey softball team swept Chowan University this afternoon by scores of 7-3 and 12-8. The Abbey improves to 4-2 on the year, while the Hawks dipped to 1-7.
How it Happened
- In Game 1, Kelkcee Fulton scored the first run of the day in the fifth inning on a grounder by Elena Duran
- Then in the sixth, a Chowan error allowed Cameron Cooper and Alexis Rogers to cross home plate and give The Abbey a 3-1 lead. Katie Allison followed up with a double that scored Taylor Lane
- The Abbey scored another three runs in the seventh, as Peyton Wilson knocked a home run to center field that scored Minona Hardin and Melissa Neyhouse. The Crusaders took the contest 7-3
- Annabeth Watkins pitched a complete game, giving up just three Chowan hits and striking out a season-high seven
- In Game 2, the Crusaders struck early, as Embler led the game off with a double, stole third, and scored on a sacrifice fly by Neyhouse
- Later in the third, Neyhouse hit a double to left field, bringing home Hailey Gass and Fulton
- The Hawks tied the game at eight with seven-run fifth inning. The Abbey, however, took back the lead for good with a four-run sixth, as Payton Whitley homered to start the inning, and Neyhouse singled in two more. Wilson singled home Neyhouse to cap off the 12-8 victory
- Watkins earned the win, pitching the last 2.1 innings and surrendering zero hits, while striking out five. She improved her record to 3-1 on the year
- On the day, Wilson finished 3-for-7 with a homerun and four RBIs. Neyhouse went 4-for-6 with eight RBIs. Gass was 3-for-5 with three runs scored, while Embler went 4-for-8 with four runs scored
Belmont Abbey will welcome Fayetteville State University on Wednesday, February 13 for a doubleheader that will begin at 1 p.m.