BELMONT, N.C. - Annabeth Watkins pitched eight shutout innings and Cameron Cooper scored the game's only run on an errant throw as host Belmont Abbey earned a 1-0 win over North Greenville Monday in the opening game of a Conference Carolinas softball doubleheader. The visitors came back to earn a split on the day by taking the nightcap 3-0.
Watkins scattered five hits to improve to 7-3 on the season. She walked just one, while fanning five.
Belmont Abbey (11-7, 3-1) maintains its hold on first place in Conference Carolinas, while North Greenville now stands 6-11, 1-1.
- Playing with the international tiebreaker rule, Cooper went in to pinch run at second back to start the inning. Leadoff hitter Peyton Whitley laid down a sacrifice bunt, but the third baseman's throw sailed into left for the walk-off win.
- Taylor Lane broke up a perfect game with a one-out single to short center in the sixth. However, two ground outs ended the threat.
- North Greenville registered five hits, all singles. Leadoff hitter Brooklyn Stone went 2-for-4 in the contest.
- Jaelin Griffin (3-7) took the loss despite striking out seven and yielding an unearned run.
- Four Belmont Abbey players recorded singles -- Brianna Embler, Clair Doyle, Katie Allison and Whitley.
- North Greenville broke open a scoreless game with two runs in the third, then added an insurance run in the fifth.
- Jordanna Shorts (2-2) took the loss, giving up three hits and two runs in three innings. She struck out one.
- Callie Richards (3-4) earned the win
- Belmont Abbey travels to Catawba tomorrow for a non-conference doubleheader.
- The games were originally scheduled for February 19, but postponed by weather.