BELMONT, N.C. - Senior Peyton Wilson went 3-for-4 with three runs, including a home run as the Belmont Abbey softball team swept Barton this afternoon by scores of 8-3 and 13-1. The Abbey now stands at 18-20 on the year, with an 8-10 conference record. The Bulldogs are now 16-31 overall, and 5-15 in conference play. The start of the first game was delayed 45 minutes due to rain.
How it Happened
- In Game 1, Morgan Smith singled in Melissa Neyhouse in the first inning to give The Abbey an early lead
- In the next inning, Cameron Cooper hit a home run to left field to make it a 2-0 game
- The Crusader offense exploded in the sixth. Claire Doyle hit a single that would score Hailey Gass, Cooper and Wilson
- Later in the inning, Payton Whitley hit a 3-run homer to help the Crusaders cap off a six-run inning
- Annabeth Watkins threw a complete game, with six strikeouts, for her ninth win of the season
- The nightcap was all Abbey. In the first inning, Whitley hit a double to right field that brought home Neyhouse. Wilson singled home Cooper. Katie Allison scored on a single by Gass to cap off the five-run inning
- Belmont Abbey scored three runs in third, highlighted by a Doyle single that scored Wilson
- The Abbey tallied five runs in the fifth, including a 2-run homer by Wilson to close out the night for the Crusader offense. It was her second home run of the season. She finished the night going 3-for-4
- Ivorie Maltby threw a complete game, tossing five strikeouts, for her seventh win
Belmont Abbey head to Emmanuel on Tuesday, April 16 for a doubleheader that will begin at 3 p.m.