GREENWOOD, S.C. -- Payton Whitley homered and drove in three runs as a part of a three-hit day as Belmont Abbey wrapped up play at the Bearcat/Fleet Invitational. The Crusaders dropped the opener 5-3 before falling to host Lander 13-5 in the nightcap.
- Melissa Neyhouse, Katie Allison and Mackenzie Sprinkle and Whitley all singled for the Crusaders.
- Jordannna Shorts took the loss to fall to 0-3. She allowed three runs on four hits in 3.1 innings.
- Belmont Abbey broke a scoreless tie in the third. Kelkcee Fulton scored on a wild pitch before Allison singled in Whitley to make the score 2-0.
- Concord answered quickly, hitting three home runs for five runs in the top of the fourth.
- The Crusaders cut the lead to 5-3 on an RBI single in the sixth, but could never get any closer.
- Josie Brewer (1-0) earned the win for Concord with Cartney Schoolcraft picking up her first save of the season.
- Whitley hit a two-run home run as part of a four-run first. She also had an RBI double in the second.
- Five other players had hits -- Claire Doyle, Brianna Emble, Evann Shelnutt, Neyhouse, Allison all singled for the Crusaders.
- The Abbey held a 5-2 lead after two, but the Bearcats (6-1) scored six in the third and four in the fourth. They ended the game early with a run in the sixth.
- Annabeth Watkins (0-3) took the loss, allowing eight runs in 2.2 innings pitched.
- Belmont Abbey returns home Tuesday for a doubleheader against St. Augustine's.