GAFFNEY, S.C. - Maria Kuhlman scored 20 points while Hannah Roney handed out a season-high nine assists and the Belmont Abbey women's basketball team earned a 76-58 victory at Limestone College this afternoon. The win puts The Abbey at 13-6 this season, with a 10-2 conference mark. The Saints are now 11-8 overall and 8-4 in conference play.
How it Happened
- Belmont Abbey got off to a fast start, Keyanna Spivey scored four points early for a 7-0 Crusader lead
- Spivey later nailed a pair of free throws to give The Abbey a 13-12 lead. She also finished off the quarter with a layup, and her eighth point of the quarter, to help The Abbey to an 18-15 lead at the end of the period
- The Belmont Abbey defense played strong in the second, holding the Saints to one field goal over the first three minutes of the period. Later in the quarter, the Crusaders scored eight points in a span of 46 seconds to take a 29-22 lead
- The defense again was strong at the end of the period giving up just one Limestone field goal over the last 6:15 over the quarter. The Abbey held a 35-27 lead at halftime
- In the third it was Allie Downing scoring five points in 42 seconds that built a 10-point lead for the Crusaders
- Downing nailed a 3-pointer as the clock expired to give Belmont Abbey a 59-44 advantage heading into the final quarter. The shot also capped a 13-4 run over the last 4:15 of the period
- In the fourth, Kuhlman hit a 3-point shot to give the Crusaders a 22-point lead. The team finished the game off with a 76-58 victory
- On the day, Kuhlman finished with a game-high 20 points, shooting 6-for-10 from 3-point range
- Roney handed out nine assists, her highest this season. She also pulled down five rebounds. Downing and Spivey each scored 16
Belmont Abbey will welcome Mount Olive to the Wheeler Center on Wednesday, January 30 for a 5:30 p.m. contest.