HARROGATE, Tenn. - Allie Downing put up a double-double tonight, leading the Belmont Abbey women's basketball team to a 63-55 win at Lincoln Memorial this evening. The Abbey now stands at 2-1. It was the Railsplitters' opening game.
How it Happened
- The Crusader defense came out strong early, holding LMU to just two points in the opening six minutes of the contest
- Irelynn Davisson capped off the quarter for The Abbey, giving the Crusaders an 11-10 lead after the opening period
- The solid defensive play continued into the second, as Belmont Abbey only gave up one 3-pointer in the quarter. The Railsplitters led 25-18 at halftime
- The third quarter went back and forth, with the two teams teading baskets. Lincoln Memorial led 37-31 when the quarter expired
- The Crusader offense exploded in the fourth. After Downing made a jumper, The Abbey defense held the Railsplitters scoreless for nearly four minutes, taking a 49-42 lead
- BAC shot 10-13 in the quarter to finish off the 63-55 victory
- On the night, Downing was the Crusaders' leader with 18 points and 10 rebounds
- Brittany Autry also posted a double-double with 10 points and 12 boards. She also had four steals
Belmont Abbey will play its home opener next Saturday, November 23 with a 5:30 game against Lenoir-Rhyne University.