BELMONT, N.C. - Maria Kuhlman scored 16 points and the Belmont Abbey Women's Basketball team earned a 88-73 victory over Lenoir-Rhyne this evening. With the win, the Crusaders improve to 3-1 on the year. The Bears dip to 2-3.
How it Happened
- The opening quarter was back and forth, with Keyanna Spivey leading the way, going 3-3 in the period
- Early in the second, the stubborn Abbey defense held the Bears scoreless for a three-minute span to take a 28-25 lead
- At halftime, the Crusaders held a 40-35 advantage
- Midway through the third, Belmont Abbey took a nine-point lead on a jumper by Kuhlman. She scored 11 points in the period. The Crusaders held a 63-55 lead heading into the final period
- The teams traded baskets early in the fourth, until a layup by Allie Downing put The Abbey up by 10. With just under two minutes to play, Downing hit a 3-pointer to put the Crusaders in front by 14
- Irelynn Davisson capped off the game with a 3-pointer to give Belmont Abbey the 88-73 victory
- On the night, six Crusaders scored in double figures, led by Kuhlman's 16. Spivey tallied a double-double 12 points and 10 rebounds
- Hannah Roney handed out 10 assists
Belmont Abbey will open conference play on Wednesday, November 27, when it welcomes Limestone College for a 5:30 p.m. contest.