BELMONT, N.C. - Allie Downing scored a season-high 22 points, and the Belmont Abbey Women's Basketball team earned a thrilling 82-78 overtime victory over Limestone to open Conference Carolinas play. The Abbey improves to 4-1 on the year. The Saints are also 4-1 now.
How it Happened
- The teams went back and forth early, with the Crusaders leading 18-16 after the end of the first
- In the second, Limestone took a late lead, and a 37-32 lead at halftime
- After trailing by seven early in the third, Belmont Abbey went on a 9-4 run to tie the game at 47. The Saints led 56-51 heading in the fourth quarter
- In the fourth, Downing brought the Crusaders back, scoring nine in the period, and helping the Crusaders force overtime
- The Abbey defense only gave up one Limestone field goal in the first four minutes of the overtime period. The Abbey, on the other hand, went-3-for-6 to seal the 82-78 victory
- On the night, Downing led the Crusaders with 22 points and seven rebounds. She also made three of the team's 11 steals
- The Crusaders went 13-16 from the free throw line
Belmont Abbey will welcome North Georgia on Saturday, November 30 for a 4 p.m. contest.