BELMONT, N.C. - Irelynn Davisson scored a career-high 20 points as the Belmont Abbey Women's Basketball team earned a 83-57 win over Chowan this evening. The win puts The Abbey at 6-1 on the season, with a 2-0 conference mark. The Hawks dipped to 1-6 overall, and 1-2 in Conference Carolinas play.
How it Happened
- Chowan scored the first basket of the game, but never led after that, as The Abbey went on 11-2 run
- Belmont Abbey only gave up one field goal in the last three minutes of the quarter, and the Crusaders led27-16 when the period expired
- The Crusader defense played very strong in the second, giving up just two Hawk field goals in the quarter, to take a 45-26 lead at halftime
- The third quarter was much like the second, with Chowan only managing two field goals on the Crusaders' stubborn defense. The Abbey went 6-for-12 in the period, and held a 61-35 lead heading into the final period
- It only took Allie Downing 21 seconds into the fourth to knock down a 3-point basket
- Davisson scored 13 points in the quarter on5-for-6 shooting, and Belmont Abbey sealed off the 83-57 victory
- On the night, Davisson's 20 points led all scorers. Downing added 17 points and grabbed a game-high eight rebounds
Belmont Abbey will visit King University on Saturday, December 7 for a 2 p.m. contest.