Women's Lacrosse Holds #3 Limestone Close In First Half, But Loses, 19-8

Women's Lacrosse Holds #3 Limestone Close In First Half, But Loses, 19-8

The Belmont Abbey women's lacrosse team trailed #3 Limestone just 6-5 at the half-after taking a 5-3 lead-but the Saints outscored the Crusaders 13-3 in the final 30 minutes to earn a 19-8 win this afternoon at Saints Field. Limestone remains unbeaten at 11-0 overall and 4-0 in Conference Carolinas, while the Abbey drops to 8-4 overall and 3-2 in league play.

Limestone scored the first three goals of the game, all coming in the first nine minutes, but the Crusaders stormed ahead with five straight goals in a span of eight minutes.

Ariel Walker started the flurry with a free position goal at the 19:16 mark. 54 seconds later, Katy Connery scored her only goal of the game, taking a pass from MacKenzie Miller, to cut the lead to 3-2. 

Just 35 seconds later, Walker struck again, using a feed from Kassie Easter to deadlock the game at three with 17:45 to play.

That was all of the scoring until the 13:55 mark when Miller gave the Crusaders their first lead of the game, as Walker set her up for her only goal of the contest.

2:49 later, the lead grew to 5-3 as Easter buried an unassisted marker to extend the Abbey's lead to 5-3.

That was all of the scoring for the Abbey, however as the Saints scored the last three goals of the half, all in the final nine minutes, to carry a 6-5 lead into halftime.

The three goal surge for the Saints started a 15 goal unanswered streak, as Limestone scored the first 12 goals of the second half to open up an 18-5 lead.

Belmont Abbey broke the string by scoring three unanswered of its own, as Easter, Katelin Glass and Shanin Darley pieced together three straight goals.

Limestone closed the scoring with 34 seconds left.

The Saints outshot the Abbey 37-17 and won the draw control battle 17-11. The Crusaders did carry a 34-32 lead in ground balls as Connery, the national leader in ground balls, scooped up seven, as did Molly Schaefer. Schaefer also had two caused turnovers.

Reilly Johnson stopped 11 shots in 35 minutes before giving way to Natasha Whitman, who did not make a save in the final 24 minutes.