BELMONT, N.C. - Katherine Turner scored a goal in the closing seconds to give Belmont Abbey a 4-3 win over USC Aiken in today's season opener. It is the Crusaders' third straight season-opening victory.
How it Happened
- Freshman Goose Andrews got The Abbey on the board first, with a score in the 14th minute. The game was tied 1-1 at halftime
- Just six minutes into the contest Sydney Pluhacek tallied a goal, while Tatiana Daugherty put the Crusaders up 3-1 a few minutes later
- The Pacers tied the game at three in the 65th minute
- From the 11:22 mark on, Belmont Abbey had a player-up advantage
- From there the teams went back and forth, until Turner scored with four seconds remaining to give the Crusaders the 4-3 win
- Sydney Pluhacek was the leader on the defensive end
- Belmont Abbey outshot USC Aiken 32-14 and took eight corner kicks, to the Pacers' zero
Belmont Abbey will visit UNC Pembroke on Saturday, September 7 for a 7 p.m. match.