HICKORY, NC - The Belmont Abbey women's tennis team lost 7-2 at Lenoir-Rhyne this afternoon in its first match of the Spring 2017 season.
In #1 singles action, freshman Aisiri Jandyala defeated the #19th-ranked player in the southeast region by a score of 6-3. Junior Alex Weber also had a very impressive performance at the #5 singles, as she won a tight third set after dropping the second set, which forced the tiebreaker.
1. Aisiri Jandyala (BAC) def. Iulia Ponomareva (LR) 6-3, 6-3
2. Sara Kalkenova (LR) def. Teagan McNamara (BAC) 2-6, 6-3, 6-0
3. Murchland (LR) def. Darian DeFrench (BAC) 6-4, 6-4
4. Marta Escanero Funes (LR) def. Rachele Subik (BAC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Alex Weber (BAC) def. Aguilar di Camillo (LR) 6-4, 6-7, 10-5
6. Taylor Fredrickson (LR) def. Morgan Zahnd (BAC) 6-0, 6-4
1. Iulia Ponomareva/Sara Kalkenova (LR) def. Darian DeFrench/Morgan Zahnd (BAC) 8-4
2. Emily Murchland/Taylor Fredrickson (LR) def. Teagan McNamara/Rachele Subik (BAC) 8-5
3. Marta Escanero Funes/Abbi Wood (LR) def. Alex Weber/Aisiri Jandyala (BAC) 8-6
Head Coach Michael Salomon offered the following thoughts on the match: "I was really pleased with the competitiveness we showed today in our season opener as well as the progress we've made since the fall. We put together an extremely competitive match against Lenoir-Rhyne and the ladies showed they were willing to fight down to the last point. We have a long way to go to achieve our goals, but I am very encouraged by both the attitude and effort we put in and I am confident our results will continue to reflect that as the season progresses."
Coach Salomon also stated: "Aisiri's straight set win today at #1 singles (6-3, 6-2) against the #19th ranked player in the region was a major highlight for us as it marked the first ranked opponent we have beaten in singles since the program was re-started."