BELMONT, NC - The Belmont Abbey women's tennis team played its first conference match of 2017 today against Limestone. Aisiri Jandyala provided a spark, but the Saints pulled out the 8-1 victory. The defeat puts the Abbey at 3-7 on the year, and 0-1 in Conference Carolinas play. The Saints moved to 1-5 on the season, with a 1-0 conference mark.
Jandyala is now 1-0 in her career against Conference Carolinas opponents. At #2 doubles, Jandyala and Teagan McNamara forced a tiebreaker, but Limestone came up with the 8-7 win at that spot.
1. Aisiri Jandyala (BAC) def. Alexandra Boulbin (LC) 7-5, 6-4
2. Ana Chirila (LC) def. Teagan McNamara (BAC) 6-0, 6-4
3. Hannah Hopkins (LC) def. Darian DeFrench (BAC) 6-1, 6-2
4. Camille Haus (LC) def. Rachele Subik (BAC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Gabriela Van Ooststroom (LC) def. Alex Weber (BAC) 6-4, 6-1
6. Kayla Meermans (LC) def. Erika Noblett (BAC) 6-0, 6-1
1. Camille Haus/Hannah Hopkins (LC) def. Darian DeFrench/Morgan Zahnd 8-3
2. Alexandra Boulbin/Gabriela Van Ooststroom def. Aisiri Jandyala/Teagan McNamara 8-7(3)
3. Ana Chirila/Kayla Meermans def. Rachele Subik/Alex Weber 8-5
Head Coach Michael Salomon offered the following comment on today's match: ""We came up against a tough Limestone team today that last year lost in the Conference Championship 5-4. We competed well in doubles, but Limestone did a great job taking the momentum and coming out a very high level in singles. We had a fantastic win from Aisiri at #1 singles, and a match point at #2 doubles, as well as a lot of competitive singles matches, but in the end Limestone competed just a little better than we did today. We will take the lessons that we learned from the match today into the rest of the season as we transition towards the rest of our conference schedule."
The Abbey will next take to the courts on Friday, March 17, when it visits King (TN) for a 1pm match.