FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. -- Cassidy Bonito registered her fifth triple-double of the season and Andie Meredith had 13 kills, but a late rally fell short at Emmanuel Friday night. The Lions posted a 3-2 (25-23, 25-20, 16-25, 24-26, 15-9) victory in a rematch of last year's Conference Carolinas championship match.
Emmanuel improves to 8-8, 4-1, while The Abbey falls to 9-11, 5-1. It was just the second loss for the Crusaders in their last 11 matches.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emmanuel jumped out to a two sets lead but Belmont Abbey stormed back to force the decider. The Crusaders opened a 13-3 lead en route to a win in the third, then fought off two match points in the fourth. Trailing 24-22, they won the final four points of the set to even the match at 2-2.
- In the fifth set, Belmont Abbey led 9-8, but Emmanuel won five straight points to set up another match point. The Crusaders saved one, but the set ended 15-9.
- Bonito hit .308 in the match with 11 kills against three errors in 26 attempts. She added 31 assists and 12 digs.
- Meredith topped double figures in kills for the seventh time this season, finishing one off her season high.
- Three other players reached double figures in digs -- Paige Rawlins with 19, Mackenzie Chrapliwy with 16 and Hailey Ryan with 10.
- Belmont Abbey continues its four-match road swing on Tuesday.
- The Crusaders travel to Newberry to face the Wolves at 7 p.m.