SPARTANBURG, S.C. -- Just 20 hours after winning the Conference Carolinas East Division, Belmont Abbey added the overall regular-season title to its resume, defeating Converse 3-1 (25-12, 25-22, 22-25, 25-18) on Saturday afternoon.
The Crusaders (19-12, 14-2) won for the 19th time in 22 matches to earn their first title since 2013.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mackenzie Chrapliwy posted her 10th double-double of the season with 13 kills and 11 digs.
- Carie Jane Valentine tied her season-high with 10 kills.
- Cassidy Bonito tallied 25 assists and six digs.
- Three other Crusaders joined Chrapliwy with double-figure digs -- Paige Rawlins (19), Hailey Ryan (13) and Caitlyn Faber (12). Ryan added seven kills.
- The Crusaders hit .147 in the contest, including .483 in the opening set. Converse hit an even .200.
- The Abbey got off to a quick start, got off to a quick start, breaking a 3-3 tie with a 16-5 run. The first set went to the Crusaders 25-12.
- In the second, BAC tallied an 8-0 run after the teams were tied at 14-14. The Valkyries tried to used a late 5-0 spurt but Valentine ended the set at 25-22 with a final kill.
- Converse extended the match to a fourth set by score the final three points after a 22-22 tie.
- But in the closer, the Crusaders trailed 9-4, but scored nine of the next 11 points for a 13-11 lead. After Converse answered with three in a row and five of the next six, The Abbey tallied six in a row and 10 of 11 to earn match point. The Valkyries saved one, but Valentine came through again to clinch the victory.
- Belmont Abbey, as the No. 1 East seed, will host a quarterfinal matchup against No. 4 West seed Lees-McRae on Tuesday.
- The Crusaders defeated the Bobcats 3-1 on September 28.
- With a victory Tuesday, the Conference Carolinas semifinals and finals would take place in Belmont next weekend.